Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: Lang and Practice

  1. #1
    Inactive Member XNavyDrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2002
    Posts
    871
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Have you all seen Lang's approach to practice?........Good stuff!

    http://www.artport.at/sticktrix/x/w/Practicing.html

  2. #2
    Inactive Member buga's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2003
    Posts
    325
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Lang should update his site!

    Thomas Lang Drum Solo

    Lang Behind the Scenes 2

    And a quite interesting o discussion from the Virgil board on Mr.Lang(I'd say I agree with Kirk's thought on there just in case)

    Thomas Lang Topic

    But if we're talking practice, commitment to the art, execution of technique and comming from a rudimental background and incorporating those ideas into the kit I appreciate him ALOT because I identiy myself with his philosophy and believe, he just needs to find his own voice, it's quite hurting that he's taking the clinician way instead of playing with musician which might bring the best out of him, the only instance i've heard him with a band is the Conrad Shrenk Extravanga "Save the Robots" which was released in 96(quite outdated)and doesn't really show alot aside from "just another prog metal player that sounds like Mike Portnoy" IMO. [img]graemlins/shhh.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member royerin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2002
    Posts
    492
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was lucky enough to have Thomas as a teacher when I was at PIT in London, and I got to see him play in several situations, and believe me, he can play it ALL. I have a video of him with Irish pop chickies "B*Witched" and he really grooves on it. Other teachers were trying to get him exposed over here back then ('96/'97), so I'm glad he's finally doing it. Hopefully we'll get to see him play in lots of different situations.

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner Steve Holmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2001
    Posts
    1,243
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've watched that Lang clip twice now and I just can't get into it. It seems he's just playing realy fast all the time and not a single groove or reference to any pulse whatsoever.

    Did you see that shot of the audience? That says it all I guess. Don;t get me wrong, he's a great drummer, I just didnt care for that particular solo I guess.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I can empathize, Steve.

    On the practicing side,
    one of the suggestions
    he made on the upcoming
    video, was something
    that Tony had me do
    back in 1977.

    It is not an original
    concept to do double-
    strokes, in-between
    drums, as some believe.

    Notice that Thomas'
    routines have the 2nd-
    stroke, moving towards
    you. Tony did them both
    ways, emphasizing the
    ones going away.

    Thomas has chops. There
    is no doubt. He can twirl.
    There is no doubt. He
    has great command over
    his double-pedals and
    strokes. There is no
    doubt. He is physically
    very fit and strong.

    I have to agree with Steve,
    however. He almost seems
    "too big" for his drums,
    the "groove" getting
    "choked". There's some-
    thing missing for me.

    Maybe it's the material.
    Whatever it is, it's def-
    initely missing for me.

    He's a fine drummer, though.

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member buga's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2003
    Posts
    325
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Interesting observations Peter. Like I said earlier I think the guy is awesome from a technical perspective and I would subscribe with many of the thoughts/ideas/methods i've seen him talk about, BUT what he needs to do is find musicians that are on his level of playing, and beyond that, listening to music. One of the most underrated aspects and one that many drummers in today's age seem to lack. Seems as tho alot of people restrict themselve to a particular genre of their liking, say someone who listens to METAL music will try to emulate what he's hearing and will dismiss other forms like funk, latin, jazz and so forth. Restricting himself to the studio work and not working with "top musicians" limits his learning/playing abilities IMO

    If I remember reading correctly Lang was brought up on classical music and has performed with the Vienna Art Orchestra and most of his credits come from studio gigs for Bonnie Tyler, Ozzy, Kylie Minogue, B* Witched etc, but no band experience aside from Conrad Shrenk Extravaganza.

    On the other hand u take another Sonor artist and european like JoJo Mayer who IMO is in the same level of Thomas in terms of technique, BUT look at his credentials(see the difference)=

    Dizzy Gillespie
    Ernestine Anderson
    The Vienna Art Orchestra
    Wolfgang Muthspiel
    Harry Pepl
    Gerald Veasley
    Monty Alexander Group
    Chico Freeman
    James Blood Ulmer
    George Adams
    Steve Coleman
    John Zorn
    The Intergallactic Maiden Band
    Hiram Bullock
    Meshell n'dege Occello
    Minu Cinelu
    Friedrich Gulda
    Harry Sokal
    Lunar Crush
    John Zorn
    James Blood Ulmer
    Chico Freeman
    George Adams
    Jamaaladeen Tacuma
    Mike & Leni Stern
    Steve Colemans 5 Elements
    Passport
    Wah Wah Watson
    Depart
    Headless Torsos
    David Fiuczynski
    John Medeski
    Harry Pepl Quartet


    .....and many more

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ October 17, 2003 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Bozzio ]</font></font>

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 18, 2003 04:16 AM: Message edited by: Bozzio ]</font>

  7. #7
    Inactive Member ptrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2003
    Posts
    159
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Bozzio:
    Interesting observations Peter. Like I said earlier I think the guy is awesome from a technical perspective and I would subscribe with many of the thoughts/ideas/methods i've seen him talk about, BUT what he needs to do is find musicians that are on his level of playing, and beyond that, listening to music. One of the most underrated aspects and one that many drummers in today's age seem to lack. Seems as tho alot of people restrict themselve to a particular genre of their liking, say someone who listens to METAL music will try to emulate what he's hearing and will dismiss other forms like funk, latin, jazz and so forth. And when they actually get down with the latin stuff they approach it from a different perspective, from the educational/schoolar point of view instead of actually LISTENING to the "old school latin records" and then using the books as support. That's why alot of americans don't seem to really get it with the exception of Garibaldi and in sum extent Weckl [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img] .

    Lang ofcourse is european so perhaps he hasn't been in touch with funk/jazz/r & b/blues what3ever. If I remember reading correctly he was brought up on classical music and has performed with a Vienna Art Orchestra and most of his credits come from studio gigs for Bonnie Tyler, Ozzy, Kylie Minogue, B* Witched etc.

    On the other hand u take another Sonor artist and european like JoJo Mayer who IMO is in the same level of Thomas, BUT look at his credentials=

    Dizzy Gillespie
    Ernestine Anderson
    The Vienna Art Orchestra
    Wolfgang Muthspiel
    Harry Pepl
    Gerald Veasley
    Monty Alexander Group
    Chico Freeman
    James Blood Ulmer
    George Adams
    Steve Coleman
    John Zorn
    The Intergallactic Maiden Band
    Hiram Bullock
    Meshell n'dege Occello
    Minu Cinelu
    Friedrich Gulda
    Harry Sokal
    Lunar Crush
    John Zorn
    James Blood Ulmer
    Chico Freeman
    George Adams
    Jamaaladeen Tacuma
    Mike & Leni Stern
    Steve Colemans 5 Elements
    Passport
    Wah Wah Watson
    Depart
    Headless Torsos
    David Fiuczynski
    John Medeski
    Harry Pepl Quartet


    .....and many more

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ October 17, 2003 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Bozzio ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Being an awesome drummer in NYC got JoJo those gigs....

  8. #8
    Inactive Member royerin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2002
    Posts
    492
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Bozzio:

    Lang ofcourse is european so perhaps he hasn't been in touch with funk/jazz/r & b/blues what3ever.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Because "Europeans" don't listen to, or have access to, or basically know anything about "funk/jazz/r & b/blues what3ever".....???? [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img]

    As I said before, I've seen him in many situations and he sounds great. I think that because of his technical capabilities either he or whoever is marketing him is focusing on presenting that aspect to the American audience.....cool guy, plays fast, appeals to kids....oh look, there's a Meinl cymbal package available....etc etc.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member buga's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2003
    Posts
    325
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I didn't say they didn't, but their traditions, methods, beliefs are quite different and differ from other cultures if u know what I mean.

    And yeah I'd agree with your assesment, he probably would appeal to the guy who's been playig 3 years and worships the ground Mike Portnoy walks, so I would guess that's also the intent of the Hudson Music DVD [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 18, 2003 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Bozzio ]</font>

  10. #10
    Inactive Member shedder's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2002
    Posts
    533
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    listening to thomas lang makes me appreciate virgil a whole lot more. maybe it's just my taste but i don't think he's even in the same league as virgil. both have similar technique abilities but virgil's brain is so much more developed then lang's. they are worlds apart. man, i miss watching virg play live. his cup just overflows with ideas. lang on the other hand sounds like he practices exercises all day long but never seems to listens to music (not generally speaking but just on this particular solo.... and every other solo i've seen him play).

    i think steve and a few others on this board can show lang a thing or two about musicial solos.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •